CDP Tutorials, Guides and Examples
These links take you directly to the main HTML document for each
tutorial or guide. Tutorials without links are available in hard copy.
Introduction to the CDP System
A classified guide to CDP Functions, listed in categories: Soundfiles, Spectral, Pitch-data, Edit-Mix, Synth/Info/Data/Utils by Robert Fraser
(You can download the CDP Guide, including a printable PDF version, from the Downloads page.)
Technical / Set-up
- Running the CDP System
by Archer Endrich (revised and updated R.Fraser)
- The CDP system environment: setting up (now suprseded), basic concepts and using command lines.
- The Windows Command Prompt by Archer Endrich (updated R.Fraser)
- Guide to the Windows command line interpreter (formerly called 'On Using MS-DOS')
- Using Terminal by Richard Dobson
- Configuring OS X for command-line programs (pdf version)
- The Operation of the Phase Vocoder by Richard Dobson
- A non-mathematical introduction to the Fast Fourier Transform
- Guide to EMACS by Archer Endrich
- Key Functions of the microEMACS Text Editor
Introduction to the CDP Programs
- Get Started with CDP in
12 Steps by Archer Endrich
- A beginner's introduction to CDP processes, using the Soundshaper and SoundLoom GUIs.
Contains background on creating a working environment, discussions of specific processes and sound
- CDP-LITE by Archer Endrich
- 45 basic CDP functions introduced on 2 levels.
- A Keyhole View of the CDP
System by Archer Endrich (2005)
- Describes key areas of the CDP System up to Release 5, focussing on utilities and editing, plus some more far-reaching transformations.
- The Sound Loom Basic Guide (in pdf format) by Archer Endrich
- Introduction to the basic operation of the Soundloom GUI, with worked examples in the Time and Spectral Domains
- The Sound Loom & CDP (in pdf format) by Trevor Wishart
- A survey of the Sound Loom GUI, set in the context of practical compositional objectives.
CDP Sound Design Illustrations - PC
(in pdf format)
CDP Sound Design Illustrations - MAC
(in pdf format)
Introducing the various demo materials:
- Dice Demo
- Step-by-step illustration of how six fairly complex sounds have been created.
- CDP Tour Examples
- A brief tour of 9 categories of CDP processes, with explanations of how the results are achieved.
- Sound-Builder Templates
- Six examples of chained processing as run via batch files (Windows) or shell scripts (OS X).
You can hear the results of each step of the process before going on to your own experiments.
'Groucho' Time-Domain Processing
- A Drunk Tutorial
tutorial on EXTEND DRUNK by Archer Endrich, with 7 worked examples
- For TEXTURE, see the Texture Workshop Composing with the CDP Texture Programs by Archer Endrich.
Three tutorials for Richard Dobson's granular manipulation program,
Grainmill (a graphic version of MODIFY BRASSAGE),
providing a variety of examples of granulation.
- A GrainMill
Tutorial by Philippos Theocharidis
- Comprehensive introduction and tutorial for this powerful graphic program (PC systems only)
- GrainMill Examples
by Richard Dobson
- Sixteen examples which illustrate very precise aural effects
- A Big One
GrainMill example by Archer Endrich
- A vocal sound is expanded by timing breakpoint files to the syllables of the text.
Special Help for SoundLoom
Return to Main Index