A new version of Soundshaper (4.6, Oct. 2018) is now available for download.
New in 4.6:
- New skinned themes: 18 new skinned themes, or styles, are now offered in addition to the default one, including some dark themes. For details see the SKINS heading below.
- Merged parameter pages: primarily an internal change, there is now just one page for setting parameters. This merger is in preparation for forthcoming developments. Parameters are now set out slightly differently: in rows of pairs 1,2; 3,4; etc., rather than in columns as before. For processes with more than 14 parameters, users can scroll down to see the remaining parameters.
- Improved file handling: outfile names are now suggested after every process and the Save Panel is opened for quick saving. Load and save file operations can optionally be directed to the user's preferred Project Folder, which can also be selected on the Main page.
New in 4.5(.05):
- Cell Patches: version 4.5 supports sub-patches: an existing patch can now be run within one cell.
The patch must have only one input (.wav) and one output (also .wav), but internally can have multiple rows. Old patches may have to be re-saved to be compatible. Patches containing sub-patches can be saved and re-run as normal. Second-level sub-patches (a sub-patch within a sub-patch) are not currently supported, however. For details, see the supplied Release Notes.
Drag and drop Parameter Files: parameter files (.prm) can now be dropped on to the Patchgrid. These are in effect single preset files, created as temporary files during the normal construction of a patch, and they can also be saved from a Parameter Page ('Save Snapshot'). When dropped on to the Patchgrid, the parameter page is opened with the appropriate values and a Carriage Return is all that is needed to run the preset, or the values can be edited. A library of suitably named parameter files makes an easy-to-use and flexible collection of presets.
Revised Mix Page: the 4.5.05 update features a revised Mix Page and several other bugfixes.
All users are recommended to upgrade to at least this version.
For other new features, see below.
Soundshaper 4.6 introduces a wide range of skinned themes. The current theme (Pulsar) remains the default. Skins can be changed via the File menu on the Main page, or on the Settings page, where a selected theme can also be saved to load automatically on startup. While all themes 'work', not all colour-schemes are equally suitable. See the new DOCS subfolder for a listing and discussion.
TOWARDS SOUNDSHAPER 5
Intensive work is now underway to upgrade Soundshaper to version 5, and then port this to MAC and Linux. The new version will be implemented in a multi-platform environment within Windows and then adjusted as necessary to run on Linux and Mac.
Soundshaper 5 will incorporate its own streaming soundfile player/viewer with easy selection of marker points for processing selected areas of the current file. More flexible file-handling is also planned. As some re-design is necessary, it is hoped to release various development versions that will help regular users become familiar with any revised layouts. Version 4.6 is the first of these releases.
The Soundshaper HELP manual (in HTML) has now been fully updated for Soundshaper 4.4.05, including the revised Mix Page (Mar. 2018). See the Downloads Page. The changes in 4.6 are documented in the Soundshaper DOCS folder.
CDP Release 7.1 was released in July 2016. No new functions have been introduced, but all programs have been re-compiled.
Download the latest versions here:
CDP Documentation is now available online: CDP Docs Home Page.
You can also download PDF versions of the main docs here.
CDP USERS' FORUM
If you are running CDP and haven't yet joined the CDP Users' Forum, you can do
so here: CDP Users' Forum
The forum is a great place to share ideas, news and information about CDP.
NEW FEATURES IN RECENT VERSIONS
Version 4.5 (June 2017 to Mar 2018)
- Cell-Patches: run a patch within a single cell. Create 2nd-level patches.
- Drag+Drop for parameter files: easy selection of favourite processes (and parameters).
- Mix Page: extensive revision and bug fixes.
- Quick-help docs: now available for all CDP processes, on Main and Parameter pages.
- Bugfixes in: GRAIN ALIGN, OVERWRITE, SHUDDER, ANALJOIN, OCTVU, PEAKAMP, SPECPRINT.
Version 4.4 (Sep. 2015 to May 2016)
- Soundshaper is now freeware: PRO and LITE versions discontinued; registration now unsupported.
- Major code revisions: internally, extensive overhaul of code in preparation for possible MAC / Linux port.
- Play pitch files: the pitch found by GETPITCH (.frq or .pch) now playable via transport (4.4.05)
- Project Folder: optionally nominate a current Project Folder in Settings. (4.4.04)
- Folder to Pool: all CDP files in selected folder are placed in Pool. (Menu item and new button: 4.4.04)
- Add Files to Pool (checkbox): if checked, pool files are added to the existing Pool, instead of replacing them.
- New scripts: scripts natively support mono/stereo/multi-channel input and include auto-file conversion and interleaving as required.
(Internally, scripts can now easily be adapted to make Bash versions for Linux/OS X development.)
- Multiple parameter sets: provision updated most processes now support multiple parameter sets for stereo / m-c input.
- Bulk Processing: copies sources from the Pool list and processes a row with each of them.
(A more versatile method will be introduced in 4.5 using Cell Patches: see below.)
- PREMIX: Mix-menu item for use with e.g. Mixmany or Mixtwo. Sets level, pan and pre-delay for each sound.
- Save Patches without sources (optional): saves disk space, making patches more versatile. On loading, supply the source(s) as required.
- Mix Page overhauled: select sources on Main or Mix Page.
- Synth output becomes new source (in current row). Parameters now re-editable as normal.
- Revised History function: full details of parameters and processes and parameters now saved.
- .env and .pch: support for .env and .pch file extensions for envelope and frequency breakpoint files.
- Process Grids updated for CDP7. Menu now named Processes (was "Grids").
- Panorama, Tangent and Transit: now available with sound-out (natively, mixfile out).
- Cell-Patches (beta): run a patch within one cell. (Test version for previously registered users only.)
Full feature due for release in 4.5: should support multiple layers of processes.
Version 4.3 (Feb. 2014-June 2015)
- CDP Release 7 functions: all new CDP 7 functions implemented. Menus updated, but not Process Grids (see 4.4 above).
- Updated handling of file lengths. Clicking on cell uses stored file-length where possible.
- WAVE-EX: "Standard" multi-channel output soundfiles auto-converted to WAVE-EX for playing.
- Patches panel: new Patches drop-down list for easy launching of favourite patches (similar to the Pool and Process lists).
- Drag and Drop: support for dragging and dropping most files: new sources, patches, datafiles etc.
- Resizable Patchgrid: support for up to 16 rows (representing separate channels or process-chains).
- Auto-scale datafiles: option to re-scale times of time-varying files automatically.
- Default datafiles: template datafiles covering almost all parameters that need them.
- Revised HELP Manual: updated to match Vn. 4.2, including CDP Reference for Spectral processes.
- Pop-up Usage: quick access to Usage description for most processes, with full parameter information and ranges.
- Process Grids updated for CDP Release 6.
- Multi-channel support: process multi-channel sounds, even where CDP is natively mono. Source file can be replaced with one of a different channel-count; Soundshaper makes necessary adjustments behind the scenes.
- Multiple parameter sets: support for different parameter sets per channel, e.g. for panning, pitch, timing and echo effects.
Version 4.0 and 3
- Revised design: including new skinned look.
- Patchgrid: Support for multiple rows and 12 columns per row.
- Run patches with different source sounds, or copy cells and process in different ways.
- Auto-conversion: CDP file types are converted automatically using current settings.
- Secondary inputs (Infiles 2,3,...): selectable by clicking on the cell required. Soundshaper auto-converts file types.
- Import patches: import a single-row patch and link it to the current one. Build larger patches from smaller tested units.
- Multi-channel split: split sounds into channels and process these independently as separate process chains.
- Full support for CDP 6 functions.
- Randomized parameter values: optionally randomize parameter values, within user-defined limits.
- Process List: load a list of favourite processes into a drop-down box, for quick access.
- Support for Windows 7 and 8.
The example below illustrates the use of multiple processing chains:
- The source soundfile (A_0) is processed by a spectral process (A_1), then a pitch process (A_2). The conversions (PVOC ANALYSIS and GETPITCH) take place behind the scenes.
- MAKE (A_3) requires a formant file; this was selected simply by clicking on cell A_1, whose formants were automatically extracted.
- The source (A_0) is copied to Cell B_0 and processed differently in Row B.
- Cell B_1 is itself copied to C_1 and is given a slightly different transposition (SPEED).
- The three rows are then mixed together in cell A_4 to give a final output, and the whole patch is then saved.